Category Archives: water heater

RECALL! RECALL!

Recalls are nothing to sneeze at or blow off especially when it has to do with the safety of your family and home.  As a family who has had two fires, both from faulty appliances, we have learned the hard way.  One fire was caused by a faulty coffee pot that, not long AFTER our fire, was recalled.  That fire put us in temporary housing for over 3 weeks while our home was cleaned from stem to stern.  The second fire was caused by an insufficient amount of insulation between the oven and the drawer underneath.  That fire didn’t put us out of our home except for an hour or so sitting on our front porch while the fire department ran huge fans to clear out the smoke. 

The home appliance being recalled is a water heater.  These particular heaters have caused six fires with no injuries reported.  The water heaters in question were made by A.O. Smith and were sold under various trade names besides A.O. Smith – American, Kenmore, Reliance, State, U.S. Craftsmaster and Whirlpool.  The recall includes 30, 40 and 50 gallon natural or propane gas-fired water heaters – the Ultra-Low NOx.  These heaters were sold primarily in California, but it wouldn’t hurt to double check what you have installed in your home especially if it was installed between April 8, 2011 and August 1, 2016. 

If your water heater is one of these brands have written down the size, the model number and the serial number prior to going to the internet or calling.  (The serial numbers in the recall begin with 1115 to 1631.)

You can find out two ways if your water heater is included:

  1. Go to www.waterheaterrecall.com and have your model and serial number handy
  2. Call 1-866-854-2793 (for Whirlpool, U.S Caftmaster or American Water Heater brands) or call 1-866-880-4661 (for Reliance, State, A.O. Smith and Kenmore brands)

As a side note:  if your family doesn’t have a family fire escape plan, plan one NOW.  Our family practiced our escape plan and this is what we followed for the second fire when one of our kids woke us up asking, ‘why is the house full of smoke?’  Did we crawl down the steps?  You bet we did! 

The Plumber’s Secretary